Monday, October 21, 2013

How a Rocking Hair Affair Abroad saved my Anniversary!

As I packed my bags for Ireland I got a wonderful message from Judith who said she booked me a hair appointment at the all too cool, Vintage Rocks Hair Parlour in East Belfast.  Check out their amazing website and be sure to book an appointment should you ever travel to there neck of the woods.  It's customary to bring the ladies sweets, please be sure to include Fluff, Sticky Toffee Pudding, Mac and Cheese and some treats with marshmallows.  If you bring such goods you will have friends for life!  http://www.vintagerockshairparlour.com/home/

I was so excited!  I had never been to East Belfast before, for those of you who are unfamiliar with the territory let me be brief.   East Belfast is comprised of predominately Protestant neighborhoods while West Belfast is comprised of predominately Catholics.  Until relatively recently there has been an imaginary line between the two and none shall cross.  Anywho....that's not important.  What is important that I crossed the imaginary line to a fabulous salon full of creative ladies who did a fine job at cutting my hair.  It took well over an hour and I enjoyed it very much.  It was very relaxing and they styled my hair without a curling iron.  Much to my surprise I didn't see a curling iron in the shop which was an unexpected welcome. 

They washed my hair, dried it gently using a small round brush and pinned it into place before letting it sit for a while.  After that they sprayed and I looked and felt fabulous.  I was consumed by great hairstyles, chats about Halloween, tattoos and piercings.  I was in my element.  Here's the kicker, I learned how to deal without a curling iron which would be a valuable skill to have when I went to Spain the following week to celebrate my 10th Anniversary.  After all I dreaded having shitty hair on my Anniversary.  Thank you to all the ladies Vintage Rocks for saving my Anniversary with Great Hair!


That's me the monkey in the middle.

How to have a Hair Adventure in Spain:

1.) Find a box of hair color, I wound up getting it at a huge department store, similar to Macy's.  (Note:  Red is not a popular color there so you'll have an easy time choosing a color.  Color 1 or Color 2)

2.)  Reading the instructions: Meh..not so much!  Remember that there is no such thing as the FDA in Spain so reduce your hair coloring time by half and the color will surely look like the one in the box.  Thanks again to Judith for this helpful tip about beauty and safety in the EU. 


3.)  Find hair pins that can reuse for Tapas (see photo above). 

4.)  Get some hairspray.

5.) Get a hold of a hairdryer.  Preferable one that doesn't require you to hold the on button for the entire time you dry your hair.  Every time my finger slipped off the button the dryer would stop and occasionally it would get hungry and eat my hair.
 
6.)  I left my hair color on for 15 minutes and ended up a pretty supersonic red.  I tried like Hell not to get color all over the hotel bathroom but failed miserably.  It looked like I slaughtered a pig in the tub.  Then I pinned my hair and tried to blow dry it as best as I could trying to shame Princess Leah.

7.)  Remove pins and dowse your locks in hairspray. Lots of it. 

TRAVEL TIP:  Gals leave your razor at home & covet your husbands oops or boyfriends or girlfriends.  Okay you get my drift.  This will allow you more space in your travel bags and less hazardous materials to travel with.  Wink, wink!   ( Let's keep this a sisterhood secret.  Shhhhhh!!!)



Trying to pin my hair is like trying to nail jello to a wall!

 



 
Fecking Hair Eating Nemisis!
 
Wha-la! The final product not to shabby although I hate to think of how red I would have been if I left the dye of for the allotted 30 minutes! 

 
 
Stepping out for our Anniversary...Priceless!
Viva la Espana!
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment